Deviled Egg Chicks

Easter is a very important holiday for my family.  As Christians, we rejoice in the resurrection of Jesus and his victory – our victory – over death.  Easter also reminds me of college – my roommates and I started a tradition of having an Easter egg hunt and making fajitas for Easter dinner, and now that we’re spread out all over the country, it’s a way for me to remember them and all the fun we had.  Additionally, it was the day before Easter, four years ago, that Justin asked me to be his wife and start a new life together.  Finally, this year Easter fell very close to the one-year anniversary of my release from the hospital after near-fatal pulmonary embolisms.  So the holiday has lots of significance for us.

 

This year Justin and I had an Easter party and I saw the cutest recipe idea on Pinterest:

 

How sweet is that?!  I decided I had to try it.  Mine were not as awesome as the picture above (also I didn’t have grass) but people still thought they were cute, and they ate them.

 

As you can probably see in the picture, my egg-peeling skills still need work.  I’ve heard that fresh eggs peel the best – I bought these on Tuesday and peeled them the following Sunday; I guess that’s not fresh enough.  I also cooked them the Martha Stewart way (bring to boil, remove from heat and cover for 20 minutes, then ice bath) and peeled them under running water.  Does anybody have any additional tips for this?

 

After peeling the eggs, you cut off a small portion of the wide end to be a base, and then cut about 1/3 of the opposite end off to be the hat.  Here I ran into an unforeseen problem: often, the entire egg yolk was in the bottom 2/3 of the egg.  I am a deviled egg novice, so how are you supposed to scoop the yolk out without breaking the egg white? (Now I see why traditional deviled eggs are sliced length-wise).  If I stored the eggs upside-down – or rather, narrow side up – would the yolk float more toward the narrow end of the egg, and if so, would it stay there when boiled?

 

The next problem with this recipe is it is MESSY!  I didn’t use quite 3 tablespoons of pickle juice (the minimum called for in the recipe), but I think that amount or perhaps 1/3 cup mayo is too much because the egg yolk mixture didn’t hold its shape very well once I put the chicks’ “hats” on, so their “faces” got very squished looking and the yolk mixture got all over the place while I was trying to fix them.

 

Also, the spinach “grass” is not just for decoration – if you don’t have something to prop the eggs up, even though the bases are flat, they will tip over when you carry the tray.  Just a heads up.

 

Will I try this again?  Maybe, but I think I’ll practice making regular deviled eggs first, and maybe get a melon-baller or something for that tricky yolk.  I think I’ll modify the recipe a bit too to make it less squishy.

 

On the plus side, they tasted really good, and the people who don’t have Pinterest were really impressed with them!

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s