Okay, this isn’t a single project or a DIY tutorial, just a conglomeration of the other stuff I used to decorate, most of which I already had or was left over from another project.
You’ve already seen my Fall Leaf Garland, but the other part of the picture below is my red candles. They came in a two-pack at the Dollar Tree, and each candle holder was also $1, so that’s $3 for those.
The sunflowers were left over from my Fall Ribbon Wreath, and the bud vase I had on hand. The roses were left over from hair pieces I made for a group in last year’s Nutcracker production, and I scavenged the leaves last year from decorations my mom no longer uses. The mason jars were on hand too.
Originally I was going to fill the jars with small nuts, or dried corn kernels, or something like that, but it’s too early to go scavenging for fallen acorns and I never got around to looking at the store, so I found a jar of dried rose leaves (collected over the years from dance recitals and so forth) and used that instead. That makes the total amount I spent on flower arrangements $0.
I found this pumpkin thing last year at Walmart for $8. They had at least three different designs of this thing. I had real votive candles in it before, but when I put it on my hutch I thought floralytes would be safer. I found them at a dollar store in a 3-pack. The leaves were more of what I had on hand or leftover from previous flower arrangements. Total for this piece: $9.
Last, I got these candles at the Dollar Tree for $1 each – they are vanilla-scented so I figure I can use them for multiple seasons.
I was going to put them in mason jars also but they were too big! So I was going to take them back and get smaller candles, but then I thought they might look nice in my candy dishes. They used to be my grandma’s . I put more dried roses around them and I thought they looked pretty nice. Total for these pieces: $3.
Five mini-projects (if you count the flower arrangements as two), and the total I spent on them was $15. The best way to save money on decorating is to find new ways to use the old stuff you already have.