Burlap Summer Wreath

I make a lot of wreaths . . .  But I wanted something for summer that I could put up after the 4th of July, and I’ve been wanting to try a burlap wreath, so there you go.

 

So, the key factor here is that I had virtually no idea how you’re supposed to make a burlap wreath.  I don’t know if I did mine the “right” way or not, but I like how it turned out so I guess that’s all that matters.

 

Here is what I started with:

 

 

I should start writing the cost of each item and taking a picture of that because I can’t remember exactly how much these were.  I know the burlap was the more expensive item, $5 or $6, and I think the wreath frame was under $3.  I got both in Walmart in the same aisle as flowers and wreath supplies.

 

 

 

To loop the burlap, I just went through every other space.  I think maybe you’re supposed to loop the burlap through the innermost and outermost slots to get bigger loops, but like I said, I really don’t know.

 

 

Each time I looped the burlap through the slots, I adjusted the material to make it loopy.

.

 

 

Then I alternated which slots I went through  (that is, if I went over-under-over-under on one pass, I went under-over-under-over right next to it).

 

Again, after pulling the burlap through, I fluffed it up.

 

 

I ended up doing three “rows” of burlap for each section of the wreath (counting the space between the cross pieces as a section).

 

 

Then I just kept going, not really sure if I was going to like the result or not (I think the loops are supposed to be bigger and fluffier than what I did), until I ended up with this:

 

 

There was only a little bit of burlap left so I tied it into a huge bow and made that the top of the wreath.

 

 

 

 

This is how mine looked up close.

 

Finally, I went to the Dollar Tree and bought five bunches of flowers.  I love the dark centers of the daisies.

 

 

 

 

 

I just stuck the flowers right into the burlap.  Eventually I will probably hot glue them to make them more permanent.

 

 

I think it’s pretty good for not knowing what I was doing!    I’ll leave it up until it’s time to change to fall decor . . . such a bittersweet thought.  Summer has gone by way too fast!

Fourth of July Rag Wreath

 

Edit: I got a new camera!  You can see the difference between the new one (first and last picture) and the old one (all the other pictures in this post).

 

Here’s a project that anyone can do!  I know because I first did this in second grade (except I didn’t have to cut the fabric then).  It’s easy, fun, and requires few materials.

 

You will need:

 

  • a foam or straw wreath (I got mine from Walmart for under $3.  I opted for straw because it was slightly cheaper than the foam, and because I figured if I didn’t have enough fabric, maybe I could leave some of the straw showing and it would look okay.

 

 

  • about 3 yards of cotton fabric – I used three different kinds (there are four in the picture but I didn’t use the red print).  Check your fabric scraps before you buy anything – the flag fabric is actually from  my mom’s scrap bin.  I spent about $10 on fabric but if I hadn’t bought the red bandanna print I could’ve spent a few dollars less.

 

 

  • a sharpened pencil, pen, chopstick, knitting needle – something that comes to a blunt point (too sharp and it will poke holes in the fabric, but if it doesn’t have a point it’ll be really hard to drive into the wreath) – I went through all my chopsticks and found one that was a little more tapered at the end than the others

Step 1. Cut all the fabric into 4-inch squares using pinking shears – not only is it cute, it prevents the material from fraying.  The best part is, it doesn’t matter if the measurements aren’t exact or if you don’t cut in a straight line.  The fabric is going to get all crumpled up anyway so it won’t make any difference.

 

 

 

Step 2.  Wrap a fabric square around your chopstick (or whatever) – you want the tip of the chopstick to be  in the center of the fabric.  Drive it into the wreath so that the fabric is secure.

 

Step 3. Repeat Step 2 until you run out of fabric. I alternated patterns, but you could also create stripes or a different pattern depending on what you want your wreath to look like.

 

 

 

 

And there you go!  The finished product is full, fluffy, and lots of fun!  I added some adhesive foam stars in red, silver, and blue (the silver showed up best).  I love my wreath so much I think I’ll make another non-patriotic one to put up for the rest of the summer.

 

 

The one thing I would have done differently is, I would have left the plastic wrap on the wreath.  That straw is messy!  But I ended up with a really nice piece of holiday decor for about $10!